Monday, January 4, 2016

Discussing Mental Health


My new years resolutions consisted of all sorts of things that revolved around one goal: to be happier. Not there's so many different definitions of happiness and how to achieve happiness, but for me it has to do with my mental health.


What is Mental Heatlh?

Mental heatlh isnt just about taking a day off from work or school. Mental health is our emotional, psychological, and social well-being, and it affects how we think, feel, and act. So many things can cause a dethings can cause a decrease or negative impact  in our mental health: stress, not enough sleep, not exercising, eating unhealthy.

For me almost every single one of these things affected my mental health. I don't get a lot of sleep during the school year( about 4 hours on a good night), I don't always eat too healthy, I haven't been working out, I'm on my electronics way too much,I don't always get the chance to see my family, all sorts of things affected my mental health in a negative way. Not in a way where I felt depressed, but it caused me to constantly worry and stress over little things.

So how are we going to fix this?



Step one: Start sleeping!

Cruisin' for a snoozin'
One way I'm going to start sleeping more is by changing my schedule. I've made the decision to not work myself sick. So goodbye constantly working the graveyard shift, and hello working only weekends. That's right, when it comes to working at the nursing home I've decide it was in my best interest to start working the weekend and on school holidays. And during the school week I can just work as many work study hours possible, when I'm not doing anything or need time to catch up on some class work. Another thing that can help improve my sleep schedule is by not constantly being on my phone or computer watching YouTube videos or Netflix. I need to start logging off and help myself get tired by relaxing.

Step two: Relax

Here lately my boyfriend has been poking fun at my feel to constantly stress or worry over every little thing in the book. With this problem, I've decided on a couple of little things to try and help. I've started writing my schedule for the week, writing to do list and completing them, writing down budgeting plans for the month, and by coloring.
With the journaling, I've also decided to try out a mental health journal( example is a Wreck this Journal book) to get my thoughts out each day. Which is something I thought my best friend and I can do together to help each other and our constant stress from school.
Examples of Mental Health Journals:





Coloring in an adult coloring book has helped with relaxing from stress and stepping into my own little world.


Step three: Family comes first!
I think not being able to spend time with my family, friends, and significant other has caused some stress on me. The feeling of taking care of others family members or being constantly asked to work a day and know that person asking me to stay is getting the chance to go home and see their family members caused me to miss my family even more. In the past year, I've tried to make time to see everyone and see my out of town family members, but it never feels like enough. It's Time to start cutting hours of staying out with friends at Applebees or working an extra shift, and time to start getting home relaxing with my boyfriend before he goes to work, grab lunch with my mom, drive down and stay a couple of days with my dad and step mom, or watch a couple of episodes of Parks And Recreation with my little sister.


Step four: Do things to get me
a step closer to my career goals
In the past month, I've tried to start doing little things to get me a step closer to my career goals and it feels like it's never enough. I've started doing more photography, writing and creating my blog, and editing pictures on Photoshop, but there is so much more that I can do to get even closer. This is the time to start doing more that gets me involved with creating publicity posters, commercials, videos with meanings, and doing more in photography.


I feel there are even more things, but with the items I've listed I feel it will help me get a step closer to become a happier and healthier Shaydi.


Thank you so much for reading!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment