Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Record Collection



How My Collection Started:

Growing up, I was extremely infatuated with everything that had to do with the sixties and seventies era. I loved everything from the clothing, the carefree movement, the punk area of the seventies, the historical people, and the music. I loved the music so much it caused me to want to collect vinyls. When I was between ten or twelve years old, I decided to start collecting records. 

The Monkees
This was my very first first album I got from First Monday in Canton, TX. My mom told me I could pick any record from the three dollar bin, and I really wanted something that reminded me of why I started my collection. That album shows my connection to the past. Of me growing up and wanting to be a hippie.

 Newest Additions to the Collection:

Awesome new find!
Artic Monkeys and Paramore
After I received my gorgeous record player from my dad and step mom, Robert informed me that part of my Christmas presents from him were new records to play with it. So on our Star Wars date day, we went to Half Priced Books to look at records and comic books. Both of these albums are newer albums of bands I really enjoy. The Artic Monkeys have such a groovy,funky sound to their music I felt I had to get the album, even though it was the most expensive one I received. It cost about $25. When I picked my other albums, two of them ended up being old school movies so I had to return them. I knew when we went to return the movies I would most likely get a Paramore album, and at first I was going to get Brand New Eyes. Since I loved pratically all the songs on the album. Then I locked eyes with something else. 
Oh no.

It was Paramore's album, RIOT!, which is my all time favorite Paramore album! The one I can seriously rock the hell out to! So after thinking it over for a hot minute, I said eff it I'm going to get it.

Personal Meaning:

Johnny Cash
My new turntable!
I'm not the biggest country music fan, but there's something about Johnny Cash's deep brooding voice that I've always adored. When my mom noticed how responsible and protective I was with my Monkees record, she gave me my grandfather's record collection. It included tons of country vinyls that I wasn't interested in, but the Johnny Cash albums sparked my interest in collecting tons of Johnny Cash albums. Now every time I look at records stores or book stores, I search for a Cash record I don't have. Not only that but Robert Earl also loves Johnny Cash, so he usually helps me with hunting them down. These records are important, since my grandfather's collection helped me start my collection. 


The Beatles
These records also have a very personal attachment to me. These records were given to me by my grandma who have had the records for years upon years. Unfortunately, the records may be unable to play because of water damage from a house flood. Even then, just the idea that I have a vintage record of my favorite Beatles record and my first Beatles CD, A Hard Days Night, is freaking awesome.



New Toto vinyl









Thanks for reading!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment